Our hands can give away our age as much as our faces do. Many of us are so preoccupied with the youthfulness of our complexion that we forget to address our hands. The tell-tale signs of aging in hands – visible veins and bones, age spots and sun damage – can all be improved with the hand rejuvenation program.
Because our hands receive so much exposure, it is one of the first places to start showing visible signs of aging. Natural aging, and exposure to sunlight, causes this appearance. The more common visible signs of aging include darkened spots (a.k.a. “age spots”) and precancerous growths. A loss of fatty tissue also occurs, making our hands look bony. Hand rejuvenation treatments can help restore the hands to a more youthful appearance. Various treatment options are available, so one treatment or a combination can be used to help achieve a look that patients desire.
With the increasing popularity of various cosmetic surgery procedures, including hand rejuvenation treatments, it is important that the prospective patient research and understand different issues like what the procedure can and cannot treat, inherent risks, costs, and other factors.
What are the causes of hand aging?
At first, hand rejuvenation may sound like an unnecessary cosmetic procedure, but our hands are more important than most people realize. The most important causes of hand aging are:
1. Photoaging – because hands receive so much sun exposure, photoaging plays a key role in producing visible signs of aging such as irregular pigmentation, pre-cancerous and cancerous growths in addition to changes in collagen and elastic fibers. These changes result in mottled pigmentation, thinned and fragile (paper thin) skin.
2. Changes in hand volume – there are significant alterations of fat underneath the skin, bones of the hand as well as enlargement of veins. These changes make the hands look bony.
Fortunately, there are several excellent methods to deal with most of these unwanted changes.
Laser and fractional laser treatments can be used to improve the quality of the skin, remove brown spots, and stimulate the growth of collagen. At the Dermedix Clinic we can use a variety of laser treatments and dermal fillers to restore your hands to a more youthful appearance.
OUR OTHER TREATMENTS
Hand Rejuvenation is a non-surgical treatment program that is individually tailored to meet your specific needs. During your free consultation, we will review your concerns and develop a solution that works for you. Our comprehensive approach uses the safest and most effective techniques and typically includes a combination of the following therapies:
• Injectable fillers such as Voluma or Radiesse are used to add or restore volume to the hands. Injectable fillers used are composed of hyaluronic acid (HA) – a naturally occurring substance in our bodies that keeps our skin looking hydrated and plump. When used in hand rejuvenation treatment, veins and bones become less visible. Results are immediate and can last up to 9 to 12 months.
• Profractional emits a tiny laser beam that treats thousands of pinpoint areas of your skin. It improves the “crepe-iness” of the hands as it increases collagen production. It also is helpful in targeting stubborn age and sun spots. The result is smooth, plump, younger-looking skin.
• Broad Band Light/ Photorejuvenation treats age spots, sun damage, broken blood vessels and uneven skin texture. When treating hands, BBL or IPL targets liver spots and brown spots. The heat and light from the laser stimulates skin cells to produce new collagen. Hands look younger as sun spots and uneven pigmentation fade.
• Medical Grade Skin Care is an essential part of any hand rejuvenation program. At home is where our hands take the most abuse. These products work to improve hands’ overall texture, tone and colour.
Safe. Pain Free. Hair Free.
BEFORE AND AFTER
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Most patients seeking hand rejuvenation are trying to enhance appearance, boost self-confidence, become less self-conscious about hand appearance and achieve smoother healthier looking skin.
One of the first and most important thing that has to be done to prevent further damage and promote reversal of some of the cutaneous damage already present is the regular use of UVA and UVB sunscreens. The corrective treatments can be tailored to the problem at hand.
During your consultation you can discuss your goals. This will include which treatment options are best for you, Pre and Post care, and answer any questions about the procedure. Patients who are having dermal fillers or fat injections should avoid drinking, taking multivitamins, aspirin, ibuprofen, high doses of vitamin E and other blood thinners for one week prior to treatment. This will decrease the risk of bruising.
The length of the procedure may vary, depending on which treatments. Photo rejuvenation and dermal fillers will take less than 30 minutes to complete. Fat Transplantation may take between 2-3 hours. Topical or local numbing is used for some of the hand rejuvenation treatments.
No anesthesia is required for most these treatments. Fillers are formulated with a local anesthetic. Pain is minimal with these treatments. The laser treatments feel like a warm rubber band snap. The area treated may feel warm for a few hours afterwards. Procedures are quick, minimally invasive and require no downtime.
Laser skin resurfacing can correct deep wrinkles, skin pigmentation, improve skin’s texture and stimulate new collagen growth for more youthful skin. Small microscopic columns of coagulated skin are vaporized and removed (leaving healthy tissue surrounding it). This forces new skin to replace the old damaged skin, leaving a more youthful appearance. By treating a fraction of the treated area. It minimizes the healing time leaving skin young and healthy improving the skin’s firmness and elasticity.
Injectable fillers are a precise procedure injected by a syringe that must be done carefully to be successful. Your doctor will determine exactly where to administer a few tiny injections to achieve the best results for your liking. Dermal fillers are structured to replace the lost volume under the skin adding a fuller youthful look. Based on an evaluation, location and depth of creases are noted and symmetry is assessed. The filler material is injected directly into the Wrinkle Line or furrow that you would like to elevate. In Fat Transfer, fat from another part of the body is harvested, processed, and re-injected into the patients hands the same way synthetic fillers are done.
Every procedure requires different post treatment care instructions. Most people report very little or no discomfort after treatments. You can resume your daily routine 24 hours after your procedure. There is minimal aftercare. You will get the best results when combining these treatments with sunscreen and daily topical at home.